Monday, April 30, 2012

Twitter Illiterate

So the other day I finally succumbed and joined Twitter. Problem? I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing!!!

There are lots of fancy wigdets and gadgets and feeds to add to my blog, but I can't even get the cute Twitter Follow Me button to show up in my sidebar! Boo....

I also realized (after several days of lurking) that half the time
I have no idea what anyone is saying on there! Everyone is speaking in some tricksy language! Eek. It's time to get Twitter-literate.

While I get things up and running, feel free to follow me!



See I can get it to work here! Why not the sidebar??? Anywho, I'm probably going to be a lurker for awhile while I learn Twitter-Speak, but pretty soon I'll join in the fun! In the meantime, I'll leave you with some links:

Twitter Resources for Authors:
NB: How to Use Twitter || A Writer's Guide to Twitter || How to Effectively Use Twitter || Tips to Build Following ||

What are your Twitter tips? How do you use Twitter to help your writer platform? What are the main mistakes Twitter-newbies (like myself) make?

4 comments:

  1. The main mistake is not asking what a tweeter meant, when I joined twitter almost 2 years ago, I had no idea what they were saying, I had to learn and I would just ask. They were nice enough to tell me.

    Second, twitterfeed is your friend, it will post links to twitter (and facebook) every-time you post on your blog. One less thing you have to do, it frees up a little time.

    (As for the gadgets in your sidebar, if you grab the text instead of html, it won't work at all, it's very picky)

    Good luck with the tweeting, I'm sure you'll be flying high with the rest of us before long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm new to the whole twitter thing too. Like I literally set up my account this morning. Maybe we can muddle through this together lol. I have no idea either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Twitter! I recommend adding your Twitter Feed to your blog and then making sure you don't double-post anything - the information you post on Twitter should be unique, otherwise it won't add anything to your platform (and will likely just annoy your followers).

    I definitely don't maximize my Twitter presence, but what I do really enjoy about having a Twitter account is the ability to quickly connect with other writers (esp. using the #amwriting hashtag) and to get extra information from agents which they only post to Twitter (like the #10queriesin10tweets some agents do).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been contemplating the whole Twitter thing myself. I have a feeling I'll be joining soon, though I'm not thrilled about the idea. But there are so many agents and publishers who post updates through Twitter. Surely it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis