Thursday, April 19, 2012

Feature & Follow: Character Fight!

Feature and Follow Friday is a weekly feature hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read.
Also be sure to check out the two featured bloggers: Amy's Book World and Word Spelunking!

This Week's Question:

Fight! Fight! If you could have two fictional characters battle it out (preferably from books), who would they be and who do you think would win?

This was such a hard question for me because there could be so many great combos for so many reasons. I'd love to see Bella from Twilight and Rhine from Wither in the ring together, mostly because it would be hilarious to see two people who obviously can't fight try and duke it out. Hils. It would be like me and Strawberry Shortcake getting in the arena: such a Berry Good Time! Or maybe really more like Daria and Disney's Princess Aurora. Either way, guaranteed no punches would be thrown and and the match would only end when everyone had vacated the building out of boredom.

 

It's actually kind of funny, when you think about it, that there aren't even more characters like this in YA fiction, because honestly, how many of us would be able to hold our own in a fight? How many of us would even want to fight? And should capacity for physical violence really be the hallmark of a strong female character?

12 comments:

  1. Hopping through. Hmm...well, I like Bella a lot more than Rhine (she's annoying) so I hope Bella would win.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed John Flanagan's "Ranger's Apprentice" YA series quite a bit. In it he has an older Ranger named Halt who is mentor to another named Will. If they fought each other, no matter how far along Will got in his training, I would prefer Halt would win. It's so cliche when the apprentice ends up passing the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found both Bella and Rhine fairly annoying, so this would be a pretty funny fight to watch! But I think you're right, it's surprising that there aren't any more 'helpless' characters in YA.

    Happy Friday!

    Tara @ Hey, Tara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clearly this is a pre-vamp Bella pairing! When I first read Twilight, I didn't hate Bella, but boy does she get on your nerves after a while (or did I just grow up? GULP) I have been avoiding Wither like the plague, so I can't speak to the ass-kicking abilities of that character. This is very funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a Berry Good Time. I love this sentence! :D

    Patricia // My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bella might glower enough to bore Rhine to death!!! Serious LMFAO when I read your reply. Loved it and good point about the violence. I actually train with MMA fighters (for fun) but the thought of actually punching somebody? Oh hell no.

    Thanks for stopping by… last week! Following back!

    Otherwhere's FF

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would hope that Rhine would win because at least she didn't whine all the time. I also agree with you, because I certainly cannot hold my own in a fight so I wonder why there aren't more people like that. But then again, nothing's very normal in fantasy and paranormal and dystopian.

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, I'm following back!

    Eileen @ ***Singing and Reading in the Rain***

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my site. I'm now following you back. You and I both seem to not be a fan of the Twilight books since I wanted to see Edward get the snot beaten out of him by Eric Northman.

    The Scarf Princess

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Your answer = totally awesome! I had the giggles as I read it. I think I would be just as useful as Strawberry Shortcake in a fight too. I love book bloggers that have a sense of humor. Can't wait to read more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would probably pay money to try and see Bella win a fight (pre-vampired Bella of course) lol. But you never know? strawberry shortcake and Princess Aurora may surprise us when the situation calls for it :p
    capacity for violence shouldn't be a hallmark for a strong female character but standing up for oneself should be, I think.
    Have a wonderful week carissa! I look forward to reading more. new follower!

    aspen

    ps. your comment about Mount Doom on my FF made me laugh. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great answer! Sounds like an exciting fight without anyone getting hurt ;) - I'd really like to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Liked your answer. My fight includes Bella too! We see her as not so effective on a fight (Bella Vamp or Human). New Follower!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis