Thursday, April 12, 2012

TGIF + Feature & Follow: Music to Books & Books to Movies

Feature & Follow Friday:
Book (not) to Movie? 


This is a great Feature & Follow Friday Question! Be sure to check out hosts
 Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read, as well as the two featured bloggers: Book Briefs and Gizmo's Reviews!

What is one book that you would be nervous to see a movie adaption of because you think the movie could never live up to the book?


There are so many books I would love to see turned into a movie. Of course I'd be a little worried about sending any of them off to Hollywood  for fear that they'd change silly things like
the Mockingjay pin in THG or really big things like totally changing Faramir's character in LOTR. Sigh. That said, I still would love some books to go movie. Others, not so much.

Movie Please!
Divergent, by Veronica Roth. Legend by Marie Lu, Tempest by Julie Cross, Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi, Cinder by Marissa Meyer, Sabriel by Garth Nix, Graceling by Kristin Cashore, Circle Nine, by Anne Heltzel. I could go on!!

Love the book, but No Movie, Thanks.

I almost want to say The Book Thief. I can't imagine that any attempt could possibly come close to the beauty that was this book. Maybe I'm too fresh off the book. It could be a film, maybe, but a movie? No. That said, I'm too late. A movie adaptation is already in the works! 
So my pick is: Bumped, by Megan McCafferty. I was really struck by this as a book, but I just don't think it is movie-able. Everything might be a little too blatantly, sugar-coatedly horrifying to watch. Like America exploded into some sort of preg-happy Toys-R-Us gone wrong. 

TGIF @ GReads: Song to Book
This weeks' question from GRead's TGIF is a great one too!


What song would you like to see turned into a book?

Honestly, it was so hard for me to pick just one. I would really love to see anything by Lykke Li, Miike Snow, Iron & Wine, MGMT or Florence and the Machine turned into a book. Those would all be dystopia/post-apocalyptic with a romantic element. Anything by William Fitzsimmons or Joshua Radin too, but that would be such a sad book, I'd need piles of kleenex! Tegan and Sara would be a great contemporary for a protag with sass.

Miike Snow - Silvia

Genre: Dystopia, w/ Forbidden Love

If I had to pick one, it'd be Miike Snow's Silvia. I think he actually remixed, but didn't write this song, though I could be wrong. Whenever I hear that song, I always think of someone walking along a deserted city street, hoping to catch a glimpse of the girl he loves even though she lives in a part of town he can never enter. 

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my WWW! I'm glad that you enjoyed The Book Thief -- and I can't believe that they're making it into a movie! When I read your comment on my blog about Legend and Les Mis, I literally yelled out "NO WAY!" and I am diving into that book tonight. Les Mis is my absolute favourite Broadway production, and I'm really excited to read a dystopian version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopping through. I didn't know The Book Thief was in production. Eeek...that could turn out very badly.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how I'd feel about Sabriel being made into a movie - those books were just so magical and so different from any other fantasy novels I'd read. But, then again, I was extremely apprehensive about LOTR being made into movies and look how well that turned out :)

    One I definitely think wouldn't work is Wither - I really enjoyed the book, but I don't think it would translate well to film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm a new follower hopping by!

    Lovely answer! I think as long as the author has a voice and participates in the decisions needed for the movie, the movie will turn out fine.

    My fff:
    http://bookwormmia.blogspot.com/2012/04/feature-follow-friday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Book Thief is in production? Argh! I'm nervous already. Seriously, it's a wonderful book and I hope, hope *hope* they do a good job with the film.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with Divergent! I am so nervous about this being a movie! Thanks so much for stopping by my #FF :D

    I am following you via GFC!

    Kayla @ Bengal Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the song is not available in my country. Damn you, Youtube.

    Patricia // My FF

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I love this song, great choice!!

    xo,
    La Toya (La Toya, Literally)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What song turned into a book? Trisha Yearwood's The Dreaming Fields.

    As for a book NOT to turn into a movie, it would have to be The Bartimaeus Trilogy.

    New Follower
    http://theebookreviewers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post!! I wouldn't want to see The Book Thief become a movie..the book was just too good :D

    Great post and thanks for stopping by!! I am following you back :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the song you chose for your TGIF! Such a pretty song! Will be adding it to my itunes. :)

    -Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't heard anything from Miike Snow before, so thanks for sharing. And you're right, it's definitely dystopian! :)

    Thanks for sharing, and thanks for stopping by, new follower!

    Monaliz @ Mind Reading?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree with you on THG! The pin was so important and now blaahh! Nothing! Great song pick! Thanks and happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks all for stopping by!

    I know. I couldn't believe it when I heard about the Book Thief. The Giver is being made into a movie too, and both those I'm just shaking my head at. How are they going to pull it off??

    Miike Snow is totally a new favorite of mine, glad you all like it! I realized the other day that I'm apparently really addicted to Swedish artists ... Miike Snow, Lykke Li and Junip are all on repeat all day in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Under the Never Sky and Cinder would be great movie adaptations! The world in those books would be wonderfully translated on screen!

    ------
    Giselle from booknerd.ca
    Feature and Follow Friday

    ReplyDelete
  16. Divergent! Yes please! I hear it might possibly be a movie which is very exciting!

    Thanks for stopping by an following me! I'm following you too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes! Totally agree with you about the mockingjay pin in THG movie. I mean, I understand that film adaptations can't be exactly by the book, but totally cutting out Madge from the first film just doesn't make sense since she plays such a huge role in the sequel.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis