Friday, April 6, 2012

TGIF: Feature & Follow

Feature and Follow Friday


Feature and Follow Friday is a meme hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read. Each week they ask a question and also feature a blogger on their sites!


This week's featured bloggers: The Romanceaholic and The Talking Teacup
This week's question:


Have you ever bought a book because of a bad review?

Does Mien Kampf count? Ok kidding, kidding!
I think my answer would have to be no, though I may be forgetting something. First of all, I don't have a lot of money to buy books, so I'd really rather spend it on books I'm fairly certain I'll like. But I WILL check a book out from the library based on a bad review. It's why I read Twilight. And bad press is probably why I've heard so much about The Selection and will therefore likely check it out.


TGIF: Book Series Finales
TGIF is a weekly feature hosted by GReads! This week's question:

Which book, from any series is your favorite ending?
What is your least favorite?




Tough question! I realize as I'm writing this that in the past few years I've started a lot of series, but never finished them (Hunger Games, Uglies, Shiver, Wicked Lovely, The Mortal Instruments, Twilight ...etc). Some of them are definitely on my To Read list. Others that-will-not-be-named are likely going to be filed as DNF-series.

Favorite Ending!
I'm going to have to go with a "classic" of sorts. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. All right, so it's not technically a classic, but come on people, we all know it will be, so might as well get used to calling it that.

I chose this because I thought JK Rowling did such a good job achieving the "oh wow I'm horribly sad it's over, but what a good book, and I can always start reading the series over right?"

Runner Up: Return of the King

Least Favorite Ending!
So this might not be entirely fair. The Last Battle gets my least favorite ending award purely because between the ages of 7 and 12 I attempted to read this book every year and every time DNF even though I loved and adored the rest of the series.

So yes, I'm going off the opinion of a 9-year old, but whatevs. I trust my own opinion at any age. Except maybe that two-week period where I thought I liked Savage Garden.

10 comments:

  1. Good answer. THe bad press and reviews really can drive up readership!

    New follower!

    Here's our FF

    Jamie@Addicted2Heroines

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I totally agree, the ending of The Deathly Hallows had a great ending, it was my favorite out of all the Harry Potter books! Great post, I'm following you now.

    Check out my blog? www.tumblingbooks.com

    Thanks,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you totally hit the nail on the head with the Selection. I would borrow it from the library before spending money I don't currently have.

    New follower!

    http://gizmosreviews.blogspot.com/2012/04/feature-follow-friday.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. New follower hopping through! Great post! I followed you through GCF - you can return the favour over at http://www.bethebooks.blogspot.com :) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog! Following you back :)

    I am exactly the same way. Being a poor uni student means that I will only buy a book that I'm fairly certain I am going to enjoy. Anything else that I'm iffy about I'll just borrow from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh The Last Ending! Arrrrgh. Yes.

    Patricia // My FF

    ReplyDelete
  7. A DNF series post would be a great idea. Some series I abandon because I'm just not that wowed, others get put lower on the priority list and I never get back to them.

    I love that you chose your least favorite series ending at 9. At that age I also felt that series tended not to end well. I remember not liking the last Little House on the Prairie books very much.

    Thanks for the follow -- followed you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for stopping by my blog! I just followed you back :) I'm going to check out The Selection to just to see what all the fuss is about!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Following from FF - it's my first week taking part, so I'd love it if you would check out my FF post :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for stopping by my blog last Friday! My apologies for the delay in returning the favour, but I am now a follower of your pretty blog as well!

    I totally agree with you that I'll borrow a book from the library just to see what the negative hype is about; The Selection is definitely the book with the most negative press out there right now. Although I just can't get past the fact that the cover girl looks like she's sniffing her own armpit. I'm not sure that I can get past that to actually READ the book ;-P

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis